Masters’ Racing

Adult or Masters’ racing is for intermediate to advanced skiers aged 18 and over as of December 31st of the current season. Some racers in these circuits compete well into their eighties, with one Ontario Master still going strong at over 90 years of age! Each of the four Alpine Ontario divisions offers slightly different Masters’ training and race programs so please visit the website of your local ski club and/or division for specifics.

To obtain a National and/or FIS card, for individual, provincial, national or international events, please refer below:

Frequently Asked Questions

I’d like to get back into racing, but don’t know where to start?
The best way to start is to contact your local ski club to see what they offer in the way of adult racing and training; if your local ski club has an adult race program, then this is the best starting point. However, if your local ski club does not offer any adult racing or training, then you should check out the adult training options at some of the public ski clubs as there are a number of options for mid-week and weekend training.

Is there any special equipment required to compete in Masters’ racing?
The only requirement, along with the usual ski equipment, is to have an approved race helmet. Soft-sided helmets are NOT acceptable for any GS, Super G, or downhill events in Masters’ racing. Once you familiarize yourself with Masters’ racing, you can determine what equipment changes you’d like to make to meet your goals—if any.  Note: FIS is introducing new helmet rules in 2014/15 so if you intend racing outside of Canada then it is best to purchase a FIS compliant helmet.

How would I find out about Masters’ racing news in Ontario or across Canada?
The best way is to visit the Masters’ section on the Alpine Canada website or go directly to Masters’ website and subscribe to our national database. As an Ontario subscriber, you will automatically be emailed any Ontario relevant information, the monthly Ontario Masters’ newsletter and any information about Masters’ racing across Canada.

Do I need to register with AOA?
Yes and you need to register online.  Also, refer to the fee schedule with the Master’s National Card being the best option if you intend racing in more than one Masters’ race during the current season.

What is the difference between the National and the FIS Masters’ competitor card?
The National card allows you to enter any Masters’ race across Canada and the FIS Master’s card allows you to not only enter any Masters’ race in Canada, but also allows you to enter FIS Masters’ races internationally.  Note: When registering online for the Master’s competitor card, one must indicate you require a FIS type Master’s card and complete the additional documentation.

How do I participate in FIS Masters’ events internationally?
First indoctrinate yourself to Masters’ racing in Ontario or Canada and within that forum you will meet a number of Masters who compete internationally; this answer will naturally follow.

How do I get a competitor number?
For all levels of competitors, one must register here completing your profile and program information that includes payment of the selected type of competitor.

Must I be registered with a club to compete in a Masters’ event?
Yes, you must be registered with a public or private club in order to compete in any Masters’ event, as well as registering online for a Master’s competitor card for the first time.  There is no physical National or FIS card issued, however,  a couple of weeks after registering online, you should be able to go to the Alpine Canada website and search for your name; besides your name is your competitor number which you will renew annually. Note: You will not receive a notification from Alpine Canada or Alpine Ontario that you have a number.

How do I register for an AOA Masters’ race?
One must have a competitor number (as above) and then advise the Race Administrator of the local club of your intent to race.