ACADEMIC OPTIONS FOR SKI RACERS
Ski racing is no different than most sports throughout the world where athletes at an elite level are challenged to find solutions that manage their academics while maintaining their athletic training and competition schedules.
In 2017 AOA produced a 66-page document designed to;
- Reference and provide information on academic institutions at the secondary level across Ontario which accommodates high-performance athletes including ski racers.
- Reference and provide information on academic institutions at the post-secondary level across Canada which have ski racing programs.
- Reference and provide information on academic institutions at the post-secondary level across the United States which have NCAA ski racing programs.
- Reference and provide information on academic institutions at the post-secondary level across the United States which have USCSA ski racing programs.
- Strategies families and athletes can you use in helping to balance ski racing and their academics at all levels
- Lists past athletes who have competed for AOA and the Ontario Ski Team.
Please download the document here>
The University of Toronto (FIS Aged athletes)
The University of Toronto offers a high-performance athletic program designed for skiers in and around their academic and competitive schedules. Currently, there are 1,000 high-performance athletes (many Provincial and Nationally identified such as Olympian swimmer Penny Oleksiak) training at the St. George facilities on campus. This represents the first University of its kind to offer an academic partnership to Ontario skiers where athletes can compete on the Ontario Ski Team or Divisional FIS teams like the SOD Ski Team while also attending University.
The University of Toronto notes on its website www.utoronto.ca that it’s 2018 world ranking was 22nd and for the 8th year in a row is the top-ranking Canadian University.*
For athletes, this program would give them access to enhanced strength, conditioning, and nutrition programs led by expert coaches, outstanding training facilities and sports medicine. It would also offer athletes assistance in the application process and academic support once accepted to the University.
For athletes and parents with further questions about this program please contact [email protected]
Families can also visit the University Racing page here online>